11.02.2012

home


Not too long ago, Steve and I had a conversation about Alabama. He commented that he didn't have a great sense of pride in being from here anymore.

I still do.

I understand fully the points he made when he said it. And, I get that maybe the reason I think this is a great place is because this is the only place I've lived and our families are here.

No, you won't stand out for being a Christian here. But there is still plenty of kingdom building to be done here.

No, you won't be able to make a difference politically here. But you can still make a difference in your community and in your family.

And, no, you won't be able to see any of the top 10 or 20 places in America that are "must see" destinations here. But I can see places of beauty* within walking distance of my home or work every single day and I can drive a few hours to see many more within our state borders.

Why romanticize someplace you don't live when you can just love the place you do? (There's a similar commentary to be made about human relationships in there, by the way.)

Alabama may not be the most beautiful, most exciting, most cool, most wonderful place in the world. I totally understand that. But, it's enough for me and I will be happy as can be to live here for the rest of my life.

*No comment on whether Vulcan's backside is a place of beauty or not.

No comments: