8.25.2011

Day Seventeen: On the Shelf


Hipstamatic: Helga Viking lens, Ina's 1935 film
SwankoLab: SwankoDev H1N, Vinny's BL94, Fantabra Magic Cool, and Vinny's BL94

The thought process for today was quick: shelf...bedside table shelf...books. I got a Kindle for Christmas and have done most of my reading this year on it, but I also have a backlog of paper books here at home, too. Shown on my shelf are:

Magyk (Septimus Heap)-by Angie Sage. This was the last book I finished. It's a young adult fantasy novel and the first in a series I will definitely finish. If you liked Harry Potter, you'll like this I'm almost sure. I read a lot of young adult fiction, by the way. Steve is certified to teach secondary English and he always knows what the great books for kids and teens are. There are some fabulous authors out there writing for young adults. If you don't read them just because you think you're too old, I think you're missing out.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy: A Novel-by John le Carre. I saw this somewhere a while back on a list of someone's favorite books and added it to my Amazon list. Steve picked this copy up for me at a great used bookstore he was at for much cheaper than I could get it on the Kindle. There is a movie coming out in November based on the book.

On the Road-by Jack Kerouac. Speaking of movies...I'm going to be ready to see this movie whenever it gets a release date and since it's supposed to one of the great books of all time, I thought I'd read it first.

The Color of Magic-by Terry Pratchett. I got off to a terrible start with this book (which is the one I'm currently reading). I had to reread pages 4 and 5 five or six times. I am not at all exaggerating. I couldn't make sense of who was speaking and about whom they were speaking on those pages. I put the book down that night furious with it and read a few pages of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (which looks like it's going to be really good). But Steve really wanted me to read it and seemed frustrated with me when I told him I put it down. So I tried again the next night and fumbled through a few more pages. The following night, the night of our Artist's Way retreat, I didn't get it at all. I was ready to throw the book in the lake. The next night (a margarita and Corona free night) I did fine and I'm actually enjoying the book now. By the way, this is the first in a long series of books. I am not promising I'll read more of them, but I see why Steve likes them. They are very Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) like.

No comments: